Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pirate Unit


Arrrrgh!   My pirate unit is my favorite unit!   I save it for the end of the year to help motivate my class when a lot of children (and teachers!) are running out of steam. The kids get so excited about the great activities.
They did an awesome job making pirate maps. This year, I gave a list of requirements for them to follow. They had to have 5 islands and at least 3 bodies of water. ty The islands and water had to be labeled. We brainstormed names and listed them on the Smart Board. This also provided a great opportunity to review proper nouns. The names also needed to appropriate for pirates or the ocean, such as "Pelican Cove."
Here is one of our maps. Look at those wonderful names. This little girl came up with these by herself!!
I was so proud of her work!
 
 
 
After the class had completed their maps, they wrote instructions on how to find the buried treasure. We talked about how to make this a LIST of instructions, not a story. Children needed at have a least 5 directions. Everyone did such as fantastic job. I was so impressed. Here is one of them.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment